Friday, January 23, 2009

first two days.

hello from across the pond! things are going great over here! its officially been 2 days and i've only broken down like 3 times! i think that's pretty good! generally i miss my parents and the ability to pick up a phone and call my mom. its rough not being able to!

the first day we got to the flats in the morning after a long trip and a wait in the airport. it was just me, stephen, and a guy named Forrest. we all settled in while we waited for everyone else. me and stephen ventured out once but we soon made it back to starbucks, which is across the street from our flats!! (closer that the one in abilene, haha) after everyone arrived (except ashley, haha) we had a general meeting and then went to the orange store (the actual name) and bought our phones! my new cell phone cost me 9.50 pounds and i had to put ten pounds on it to start with. that will buy me 50 minutes of talk time to the people in my group. good thing i dont plan on being on the phone that much. after we got our phones we all went to dinner, to pizza express. a very nice sit down restaurant that serves personal pizzas bigger than the one you are picturing in your head! i got an olives and garlic pizza called the "soho" (taking a risk!) instead of the pepperoni pizza, which happened to be called the "american!!" later on that night ashley finally made it to town! 

we got to sleep in this morning! we met at 12:45 and went on a "neighborhood tour" which lasted 5 hours! biggest "neighborhood" ever! we went many places, most of which i documented until my hands turned to blocks of ice. on the weather topic- things are rather chilly. its better if the wind isn't blowing, but it was gusty today. we saw street performers which were very funny! i gave a street performer american money after the show and he said on the mic "this girl gave me american money!" i just laughed and told him that was all i had, which was since i wasn't going to give the man 20 pounds! after our "walk" stephen, ashley, and i went back to the orange store so they could get phones, then us three went and ate at a place called the cornwalis! hah! its actually a pub i guess. i ordered a burger with bacon and cheddar. it seemed normal and thats what i was going for! but in london bacon means ham. so my burger had a piece of ham on it. i didnt eat that part! hah! and that actual hamburger patty reminded me more of meat loaf! stephen had the same thing so i'll have to ask him what he thought! well tonight we all went and saw wicked! it was beautiful and so fun! i had never seen it before, and didn't know the story, but its was spectacular! i want me and my family to go to something like it when they are here!

well now i'm back at my flat, and i'm pretty tired. tomorrow we are going on a tube rally, pretty much a scavenger hunt where you have to take the tube everywhere to get comfortable using it. 
i've bitten on one of my nails :( i need to paint it quick or all hope it lost!

i love love love you all and miss you!
i'm going to bed!
will write again!

No comments: