Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday, February 24

Afternoon gents!

(It's been sometime since I've composed a blog, so here we are!)

London to this point, 1/3 through the semester, has been a vast mix of dream and surreality I never imagined I'd reach. At every corner I turn, I find myself swept into a rich history so compelling I don't know how to respond. From the 1215 Magna Carta in the Salisbury Cathedral, to the Roman/Medieval walls that still litter a couple spots in Old London. The city's rich culture and histories are truely inspiring.

Worshiping here at vast cathedrals has developed into a religious experience I've never had. The mixed euphoria of surrounding entombed-knights and Latin praises echoing among ancient relics and architecture, raise my heart and soul Sunday after Sunday. Where people call these services boring, I see a beautiful reverence, respect, and love of an Omnipotent God... which I believe to be fitting. I've never felt this way in my life, and it's phenomenal.

Just as religious was my recent trip to the Wallace Collection. The Wallace Collection houses a fascinating gallery of European and Asian armours, from a wide span of history. To stand before a shining suit of 15th century German plate-armour and see my own reflection on the visor's glare, was a passionate moment. I felt bolstered to the heart, and have (to now) felt a deeply rooted bit of confidence from the experience... and yes, I understand how weird I surely sound to all of Cari's lovely friends and family. My apologies.

This weekend, we'll be traveling to Oxford. I've been anxious about this trip since our arrival in England. Oxford houses not only the Inkling Society pubs that J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis met weekly, but their respectful resting places. I'm hoping for a time of meditation and reflection at their graves. Tolkien and Lewis have likely been the most influential authors in my life, and I'm absolutely excited.

Farewell,
Stephen Cumby

1 comment:

Trey C said...

Tell Lewis, Tolkien, and Cari I said whats up!

Love you bro - Trey